This page has moved to a new address.

Review ★ Koji, Shiseido, and Shu Uemura eyelash curlers

A S T R O P H O R I A: Review ★ Koji, Shiseido, and Shu Uemura eyelash curlers

This page has moved to a new address.

Review ★ Koji, Shiseido, and Shu Uemura eyelash curlers

A S T R O P H O R I A: Review ★ Koji, Shiseido, and Shu Uemura eyelash curlers

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Review ★ Koji, Shiseido, and Shu Uemura eyelash curlers

I didn't really start curling my lashes and wearing mascara until late last year, because curling my lashes always seemed kind of painful u__u, since the curlers I've used tended to pinch me. Lash curlers virtually look the same, however some curlers have a slight difference in curvature to cater to different eye shapes. Anyways, here's some thoughts on the curlers I've used~

The difference in curvature is pretty small, but you can slightly tell the difference between them all. 

1) Shiseido eyelash curler (★★★★) $12.60
I bought this from Sasa (link) while it was on sale (regular $15). It is quite popular, and well-received ^^. It has an flatter curvature than the other two curlers. I would recommend it for people with 'flatter' eyes (ie. close set or monolid) to avoid pinching. It curls all my lashes in one go, without crimping them. It's around $20 at department stores/make-up counters, as well as Shoppers Drug Mart. However, that one is metallic grey, so I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two. You can buy a replacement pad for $8.


2) Shu Uemura eyelash curler (★★★✩) $24
This is definitely one of the most popular, cult-favourite curlers out there. It does the job, and it curls wells. However, I can't say I'm a fan because it tends to pinch my eyelid. It doesn't curl the lashes on the outer part of my eye properly, so I have to use it multiple times to curl my lashes evenly. The curve is flat until it reaches the edges. Also, if you run out of pads for it, you'll have to re-purchase the curler (or put a different brand's pad into it). This curler has the widest handle, so it's more comfortable to use.

3) Koji eyelash curler (no. 73, 34mm) (★★★★) $5.10
This one definitely gives the biggest bang for your buck. This one is also from Sasa (link). I rated it better than the Shu Uemura because of the price LOL, since it's only a fraction of the price; but it still works well. If it was $12+, I would probably give it the same rating. It has many reviews that rate it favourably, as do the rest of the curlers under this brand. They come in different widths, for smaller eyes to wider eyes (some of them have different handles too). The rubber pad is thicker than most curlers, which supposedly results in a nicer curl. It takes a couple tries to curl my lashes though, but the results are still good. The handle is tear drop shaped, and may not be comfortable to use if you have bigger hands.

The Shiseido and Shu Uemura ones are the most popular ones out there, but they are also a splurge. All three of the curlers come with one extra pad. On the more affordable end, there's also drugstore eyelash curlers by brands such as Revlon, Quo, or Cover Girl. Although the quality may/may not be as good. The ones on Sasa are by far the cheapest, and they even have pocket eyelash curlers. I think Sephora might have a pocket curler too.

So readers, which curler (if any) do you use ^ u ^?

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7 May 2013 at 15:38 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice comparison! I personally use the Shiseido eyelash curler. It's the first one I've ever had, so I haven't had the chance to try out the other two. I'll definitely look into the Shu Uemura and the Koji one next! (゚ー^*)

 
At 8 May 2013 at 13:06 , Blogger Joshua Hideki said...

Thanks for the great review! Enjoyed reading it! :)
I'm a guy and i do have long lashes. Sometimes i do curl them.
(F.Y.I though, I'm NOT gay) hahaha!

I have used the shiseido curler previously, certainly not a bad choice.

This is my blog, check it out if you'd like!

www.colorfulexistence.com

Have a great day ahead!

 
At 9 May 2013 at 13:53 , Blogger JNN said...

I like the Shiseido one a lot more~ the Shu Uemura one is a HG product for many, but it's pricey IMO D:

 
At 9 May 2013 at 19:58 , Blogger JNN said...

Thanks :D. I'm envious of guys with long lashes :c... and with lashes that look naturally curled or just aren't pin-straight like mine.

 
At 15 May 2013 at 00:09 , Blogger Ashley said...

I'm currently using the Koji curler you reviewed but I've tried the Shu and Shiseido curler in the past too. I also use the Sonia Kashuk eyelash curler and now that Target has finally opened its doors in Canada, I'll be repurchasing that one regularly. It's about $10 and it comes with replacement pads too!

 
At 16 May 2013 at 06:40 , Blogger JNN said...

I check out that one, once I find a Target closer to where I live (or when it opens, since a lot of them are opening late fall) :3. I've heard good things about the Sonia Kashuk brushes though!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home